Monday, April 21, 2008

Semi-anonymity and purposes

I just started this blog to be a written outpouring of my life as a follower of Jesus Christ, through both the ups and the downs. The main motivation was to exercise this gift of writing that God has given me. I think that he has gifted me with a natural knack for the written word. While I may not be as gifted as some other people, I still want to exercise my writing talent, so that when I need it, I'll be up to the task that God provides. (Because writing is like a muscle, the more you do it, the better you get.) (Or like anything for that matter.)

So, I want to exercise this talent, and work on it, and refine it. Specifically, I think of the "parable of the talents," where the head honcho dude gave his servants varying amounts of money to use: one dude 5, one 2, and one just 1. As you may know, when the head honcho came back, the dude with 5 is like "Yo, I've put your cha ching to work, and hey look: I've got 5 more!"

And the head honcho is like "Good job! Now you get mucho rewardos!"

Same with the 2 dude: "Yo, I've got 2 more!"

"Mucho rewardos for you!"

But the dude with 1 was like "Um yeah, I was afraid that I would lose what little I've got, so yeah, I stuck it in the safe I've got in my floor, and yeah, here you go... you can have it back."

So the head honcho is like "You sucker! Get out of here! You're living on the street corner from now on!"
(That's the Ehud version)

I definitely don't want to be "dude with 1," and I know I'm probably not "dude with 5," but "dude with 2" did what the head honcho wanted him to do, and he got "muchos rewardos" in the end. Therefore, I want to use this talent to God's glory, so that when I really need it, it will be all sharpened up and in my pocket, ready for use.

However, I really want to go about this humbly. On my previous blog, I felt like I was constantly writing specifically for the people that read it. I mean seriously, if your mom and youth pastor and more or less everyone you know has access to your blog, you end up catering it to facilitate them to think positively of you.

Also, as I am currently 19, male, and single, I naturally am probably going to write about guy/girl relationships every now and then. I felt like on my previous blog I could not really address the topic, even from a Bible-centered perspective, as many of the girls that I know and am friends with/have relationships with to some extent have access to and frequently read my blog.

Because of those reasons, I am writing this blog semi-anonymously. "What does that mean?" You may ask. Well, I'm not going to tell anyone I know about this blog, and I'm not going to broadcast who I am. But, I am not going to all ends of the earth to cover my tracks. (I've written a completely anonymous blog before, and it becomes a hassle to be vague enough and yet specific, to cover your tracks, and come up with code names and the like.) If someone familiar with me and my life came across this blog, they could probably easily identify who it was. So if you figure out who "Ehud the Disciple" is, just keep it on the D.L., OK? But by all means, come back, keep reading.

But then again if you don't know who I am, well good, and feel free to pass it around if you are so inclined








So the goals of this blog are to:
1. Exercise my writing ability
2. Portray the life of one learning to be a disciple of Christ, both the ups, and some of the downs
3. To help me to focus my thoughts on Christ, by writing about related topics

No comments: